In the middle of summer, a quick, healthy recipe that you can make on the grill comes in handy. I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking to cut down on the amount of time I spend in a hot kitchen after work. Burgers on the grill are a perfect solution.
While basic hamburgers are delicious, I like to spice things up a little without turning up the heat. I created these Moroccan chicken burgers to hide some vegetables in our burgers and to give us the health benefits from some of the spices in the Moroccan spice mix. Using ground chicken instead of ground hamburger cuts down on the amount of fat in the burger and provides a better flavor combination when mixed with the spices.
The Apricot Greek Yogurt Sauce brings the sandwich together by giving the burger just the right balance between tart and sweet. Plus, the sauce is a great way to use up my Double Apricot Jam throughout the year.
If you are pressed for time you can easily make the spice mix up in advance and store it in a mason jar. Better yet, prepare the burgers, but don’t cook them – freeze them instead. On your next busy night just pop the burgers on the grill and mix up f the sauce. You’ll have dinner in a few minutes!
Let’s get grilling!
What’s your favorite burger recipe?Print
These healthy Moroccan Chicken Burgers with Apricot Greek Yogurt Sauce are just the right balance between spicey, tart, and sweet.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Mix together all the spices (from white pepper through cumin). This makes about 2 tablespoons of the spice mix.
- Chop spinach.
- Combine ground chicken, spice mix and spinach in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and form into burgers.
- Grill burgers for 12-15 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
- While burgers are grilling combine the Greek yogurt and apricot jam in a bowl.
- Serve burgers on your favorite bun with a tablespoon of Apricot Greek Yogurt Sauce on top.