There are days when the last thing that you want to do is cook an elaborate dinner. You want a meal that is satisfying to your palate as well as simple and easy to make. My Black & Blue Burger Salad is the perfect choice for those occasions. You can enjoy my recipe regardless of the season if you follow my two helpful hints below.
Helpful Hint 1
Making salads outside of tomato season can be a challenge because I have found that out-of-season tomatoes can be both tasteless and more expensive. Those issues can be exacerbated because many tomatoes are often shipped across the country.
To maximize the taste while minimizing the cost, find a local grower who grows tomatoes in a hoop house which helps to extend the local season by several months. I have found that the tomatoes I purchase from these farmers are both flavorful and reasonably priced, regardless of the season.
Helpful Hint 2
The lean hamburger used for my recipe is typically more expensive than other types of meat, such as turkey burger. However, when I find the lean hamburger on sale, I stock up and freeze whatever I do not use immediately so that I can have it readily available at a later date.
Buying lean hamburger in bulk at a sale price requires you to invest more money immediately at the point of purchase; however, this method will ultimately save you both time and money in the long run. You will no longer need to waste time checking to see if the lean hamburger is on sale and you will be guaranteed to lock in the lower price for numerous future meals.
Plus, if you make your burgers into patties before freezing them, you will save yourself time on those hectic days when all that you want to do is relax and savor your meal.
If lean hamburger is too expensive in your local area or it rarely goes on sale, you can easily substitute turkey burger and be just as satisfied because both blend very well with this meal.
How often during the week do you just want a quick and easy meal that is satisfying? Why is that?Print
Black & Blue Burger Salad
This salad is simple and easy for those busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 pound 93% lean hamburger
- 3 dashes of McCormick Montreal Steak Low Sodium Blend Spice
- 6 cups Romaine Lettuce, torn
- 1 large tomato, diced into pieces
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- Sprinkle and mix into the burger 3 dashes of Montreal Steak seasoning. Shape two hamburger patties from the 1/2 pound of burger.
- Place hamburgers in a non-stick skillet and cook to your desired finish. About 5 minutes on both sides if you prefer medium-well to well done burgers.
- While burgers are cooking wash and tear up 6 cups of romaine lettuce. Drain lettuce and pat dry with a towel. Place lettuce into two bowls.
- Dice the tomato and put half on each salad.
- Sprinkle half of the blue cheese on to each salad.
- Top the salads with the finished burgers and your favorite salad dressing. I recommend a blue cheese or a lighter vinaigrette salad dressing.