Hi, I’m Vickie Herrmann and I’d like to personally welcome you to Summer Kitchen Creations!
My husband Dan, and I have been married almost 3 years and we share our home with our adorable Shih-Tzu, Ripley, that we adopted from the SPCA. Since my day job as a product manager for a national food and drink company demands a lot of my time and attention (the work never ends!) at home I like to live a more simple lifestyle, but still use traditional skills like:
- cooking from scratch,
- growing my own fruits and vegetables, and
- crafting new useful items for my home.
I first started developing these skills when I was a child growing up with a humble, God-fearing family in rural Pennsylvania. Both sides of my family farmed in central Pennsylvania for generations and it’s from that heritage that I learned how to:
- cook and preserve my own food from scratch (so I could always provide for loved ones),
- plant a bountiful, delicious garden every year,
- harvest food at the peak of freshness,
- sew, stitch and craft fun things and essential items for my home, and
- appreciate the simple, everyday moments of spending time in nature.
My family also taught me that it’s my duty to give back to others because I’ve been blessed in many ways. I started this blog to share with you the traditional knowledge and skills I’ve learned so you, too, can experience those life-changing benefits.
Life isn’t always simple, but together we can create a simpler, modern life while still using traditional skills in our homes.
You can find out more about Summer Kitchens and how this blog got its name here.
Thanks for reading and joining me on the journey,